Sports Premium Funding
What is Sports Premium?
The Sports Premium is an amount funding given to every school by the Departments for Education, Health & Culture and Media & Sport. The amount allocated for Market Weighton Infant School for 2017-18 is £17,530. The premium must be used to fund additional and sustainable improvements to the provision of PE and sport, for the benefit of primary-aged pupils, in the 2017-18 academic year, to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles. Maintained schools must publish information about their use of the premium on their website by April 2018. Schools should publish the amount of premium received; a full breakdown of how it has been spent (or will be spent); what impact the school has seen on pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment and how the improvements will be sustainable in the future. Schools should also consider how their use of the premium is giving pupils the opportunity to develop a healthy, active lifestyle.
For example, schools can use the funding to:
- Hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers (provided this is not for PPA cover)
- Provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach P.E. and sport more effectively
- Introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport or healthy lifestyles
- Support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- Run sport competitions
- Increase pupils’ participation in the School Games run sports activities with other schools