Promoting British Values at Market Weighton Infant School
The DfE have reinforced the need “to create and enforce a clear and rigorous expectation on all schools to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.”
Click here to see the British Values Advent Calendar
The Government set out its definition of British values in the 2011 Prevent Strategy, and these values have been reiterated this year (2014). At Market Weighton Infant School these values are reinforced regularly and in the following ways:
- We have a school council (known as “Helping Hands”) in Key Stage 1 (Years 1 & 2) which meets regularly with the headteacher. The aim of the meetings is to seek the children’s views and opinions on a range of school issues. Sometimes the members of Helping Hands feedback to their class and sometimes they collect class views which they represent at the meeting. The council has its own budget and is able to effect change within the school. Every child on the school council is voted in by their class.
- Through our curriculum children are taught about and encouraged to respect public institutions and services. We do this by inviting into school a range of visitors from the local community as well as visit places in the area, such as residential homes, businesses and churches.
The Rule of Law
- The importance of laws, whether they be those that govern the class, the school, or the country, are consistently reinforced at Market Weighton Infant School. Visits from authorities such as the Police and Fire Service help reinforce this message.
- Despite our pupils being very young, children are taught from an early age the rules of the school. Pupils are taught the value and reasons behind our school rules, the responsibilities that this involves and the consequences when rules are broken. Our school follows the “Golden Rules”. For more information, please read our school Anti-Bullying & Behaviour Policy in the Policies section of our website.
- At Market Weighton Infant School, pupils are actively encouraged to make choices, knowing that they are in a safe and supportive environment. As a school we educate and provide boundaries for young pupils to make informed choices, through a safe environment and an empowering education. Pupils are encouraged to know, understand and exercise their rights and personal freedoms and advised how to exercise these safely, for example through our eSafety and PSHE work.
- We have a robust anti-bullying culture with behaviour and safety policies in place. Please see the Policies section of our website.
Mutual Respect and Tolerance of those of Different Faiths and Beliefs
- Mutual respect is at the heart of our values. Children learn that their behaviours have an effect on their own rights and those of others. All members of the school community treat each other with respect.
- We provide opportunities for the children to visit places of worship and we actively encourage visitors from a range of communities and organisations into school.
- The school supports a variety of charities each year and plans fundraising and awareness raising activities to support those charities. For example, each year children are encouraged to make up a shoe-box of gifts for “Operation Christmas Child”.